Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Stanford Appointmnet

I just got back from Stanford and I am exhausted! But I wanted to take a minute before I napped to give everyone an update.

First, and probably the worst news I got today is that it is in the bone. Which explains why my back has been so sore and I haven't really been able to get comfortable. They think it could be in one of my vertebrae and that sucks. Radiation will "sterilize" it. (That's the word the doctor used, weird, but as long as it stops I don't care how he explains it.) Hopefully it isn't in too bad of shape, they want an MRI of my spine and a bone scan to get a better idea of what we are dealing with.

Second, it is NOT in mu lungs! There is fluid around my lungs that is causing the shortness of breathe, but that can be drained and I should get most of my lung function back.

Lastly, the cancer is only in my bones and soft tissue and that will not kill me. It will cause discomfort and will eventually spread to other areas that will be fetal, but there are a few things we can do that will hopefully slow it down. The Stanford team agreed that I have more than a year!!!!

Overall, I am very happy with the news I got today. I am sad that the Visalia team didn't pick up the bone cancer, but that's why we got a second opinion. Cancer in the spine scares me a little so I hope we caught it before it was too bad and can keep it from deteriorating the bone any more.

Ok, so that's it. I have an appointment with my Visalia oncologist to set up the scans, fluid drains, etc, etc. I will keep you posted on how it turns out!!

1 comment:

  1. You know, this is great new to hear, but it is upsetting that Visalia missed this. How in the world can fluid in your lungs be mistaken for cancer? Fluid in your pleura space isn't that hard to detect, and yes its a simple fix. Hopefully you have the availability to bypass Visalia for as much as you can for treatment, diagnosis, and prognosis. Cheers to Standford and to the news!

    ReplyDelete