Thursday, July 16, 2009

Long time no blog

So much has happened since my last blog. I have a lot to report and am not sure where to start, my head is swimming with all of my mental notes for blog topics.
I guess I will start with what has been on my mind and in my heart the most. My Grandpa passed away July 6th from cancer. I am so sad that he is gone and miss him a lot. I would visit him in the hospital every few days and every once in a while I have mini panics that I haven't been to see him and I remember that he isn't there. I know that he is much more comfortable now and is no longer suffering. He wasn't happy that I had cancer at the same time he did, but it was something that we were both going through at the same time. We could share stories and know what the other was talking about exactly. Radiation was his first treatment and he would show me his scan card and tell me all about it. He couldn't wait for me to start. I even showed him my scan card when i finally got it. Ironically I was supposed to start radiation on the day of his memorial service. Instead I started the next day so I could attend his service and have dinner with my family and not worry about what time it was and needing to leave for an appointment. The service was really nice and I think represented him very well. My grandpa is doing really well, the rest of the family too. We were lucky to all have time to say goodbye and begin to brace ourselves for it, if that's possible.

As I mentioned above the day after his service I started radiation. A few bumps in the road before the start day. One of the techs was really terrible and I ended up calling to make sure the entire six week treatment would be spent like that. I have seen her 3 days in a row since and I think she was really just having an off day. She is actually really nice now. I hate calling and complaining, but this is important to me and I refuse to pushed around. It really was a bad appointment, almost everything went wrong and by the end of it I had purple marker up my jaw and an appointment schedule that would never work. Ok, sorry, I am not dwelling on it, sorry, I have moved on, all things were fixed and I have been having great appointment s since then.

Ok so radiation. So far has been pain free. I got my tattoos on Wednesday, my second day after my plan and levels were approved by the doctor. The tattoos were something I had been very curious about. They use a syringe and inject a small amount of ink. They are tiny small, smaller than a freckle but once you know what they are, you can see them easily. I think I have 5. Just little black dots and really they look like really bad blackheads! Crazy! The radiation room is really cool, no wonder grandpa was so excited for me to start. I can really see why he loved it! You lay on a table, kind of like a a CT scan, but the machine mostly moves around you. The lights go low and lasers come out, red and green! The green ones are grids and are all over the room the ceiling the walls, everywhere! THe red ones come out of the machine and I only see them on one of my last doses when the radiation is shot from behind. As the machine moves and realigns for that dose it crosses my right eye. The first few days I was surprised when it went right in my eye, but now I know when it is coming and close my eye, doesn't take me long! So 3 down and 30 to go, I go Monday through Friday and each appointment has taken about 30 min. I have my vitals taken every other week. My blood pressure was really good today.

I hate the stupid no deodorant deal though! I can use Tom's All Natural, but it isn't good at its job and have been very aware of my hygiene!

Ok, I think that is all I had floating around in my head right now. I will post again if I remember something :)

No comments:

Post a Comment