Friday, March 13, 2015

Hair Today, Bald Tomorrow

If the Title didn't give it away, I've lost my hair.  The last chemo I was taking wasn't beneficial enough to continue.  The side effects were not worth it. My skin was coming off of my hands and feet but my markers continued to increase. So we switched to a new chemo. Every time we switch medications, I run the risk of loosing my hair and experiencing a number of other side effects.  The good news is that I get to go Wig Shopping, I have a lot of supplies already, and this summer will be cool and I will have lots of hair options that won't include having to blow dry my hair when it's 100 degrees and over outside!           
So far this chemo does seem to be a little more difficult than my last one, not too much worse, but there seem to be more days that I am tired. I hope to know what days I can expect to feel well and the days I know just to take it easy are soon. It usually takes a few weeks to figure those things out. I will post some pics soon, right now I am still going through my best wigs and head coverings. Of course I will show the whole bald thing, but for now I still have some hair and it looks odd until its all gone. I see a bic in my weekend plans!

In other news..... My oncologist has retired. I really like my new dr, of course there is never replacing a dr like Dr Hsu. My new Dr, Dr Nobile, is very Italian! I love that! He seems very smart, and has done a good job taking over in the middle of a new treatment plan. The first day I met him, I had just started my new chemo, had a sinus infection, and felt worse than I had in many many months. He asked a few quick questions and I felt better within 2 days! He shares his big picture ideas and hopes with me and they line up perfectly with mine. He does want to biopsy a spot somewhere. Stanford had recommended that too, but the odds that my tumor has a new pathology was so little and a biopsy site seems too difficult to reach that Dr Hsu and I moved on from it. Now, if we can find a site that seems decent to biopsy I am all for it. This could mean a number of things. The biggest thing is that if my tumor has changed, treatment could change too. The pathology report of a tumor tells you if you need chemo and how aggressive of a chemo you need. If, by chance, the pathology comes back and my tumor has changed, there could be an easier treatment plan that will bring more benefits and less difficulties.               

There are probably some typos and some grammar errors, I will try to reread later and make it easier to read, but for now, I'm tired and I just wanted to get the info out before I start running around town bald.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

1 comment:

  1. Prayers for your healing, prayers for your strength, and prayers for courage ๐Ÿ‘ผ๐Ÿ‘ผ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’œ

    ReplyDelete